Arthur M Matthews
Matthews Machine Shop was founded by Arthur M Matthews as a one-man operation for the repair of industrial and farm machinery. The original building measured just 28 by 30 feet.
Satisfied customers spread the word and increased demand for Matthews quality workmanship, so that the building was enlarged to 6,000 square feet by 1958. Mrs. Matthews and the four sons pitched in to help.
Matthews Machine Shop became Matthews Machine Company in 1963, modernizing its facilities, and later incorporated in 1967.
On May 19, 1969, the company moved into a larger 30,000 square foot building.
Matthews Machine Company later changed its name to Matthews Industries. It also moved from its modest location on Highway 31 in Decatur, Alabama to its current location at 23 2nd St SW. It uses its 100,000 square feet of manufacturing space to produce products for an ever growing range of industries.